In this episode of Herding Code, the guys talk nonsense for over an hour.
- Topic: The Apple Store 30% fee for App Subscriptions – who’s surprised, what apps will it affect, etc.
- The conversation shifts to Kindle, and whether content focused apps can move to HTML only.
- Topic: Windows Mobile deal with Nokia – will it help?
- K Scott thinks it’s very late for both parties.
- Jon doesn’t think there’s much loyalty in the smartphone market since people get a new phone every few years.
- There’s some discussion about where this leaves the enterprise phone market. Kevin thinks that Microsoft should just have focused on the enterprise.
- Topic: Reflector – was free, was going to be free forever, but now it’s not.
- Kevin and K Scott talk about how bad it is from a community perspective.
- Kevin wonders how many developers or updates are required to keep Reflector going?
- Jon, K Scott, and Kevin talk about what they use Reflector for.
- The guys talk about open source alternative – IL Spy, Cecil based disassemblers, JetBrains’s new decompiler.
- Kevin and Jon talk about why a $35 cost is a bigger problem than it sounds like.
- Topic: Mono 2.10 and Moonlight 4 Preview 1 released – what does it mean?!
- Topic: Watson plays Jeopardy. Jon asks if it just called into Wolfram Alpha, and K Scott wonders if has a Sean Conery mode.
- Topic: CardSpace 2.0 won’t be shipped. Nobody but Jon cares.
- Scott K talks about the LastPass. Jon asks how that work on different computers, mobile, etc.
- Topic: Internet Explorer 9 RC is out
- Jon talks about how IE9RC works better with Visual Studio now.
- Jon likes the simplified UI, but talks about a few of the annoyances he’s run into.
- Jon and Kevin talk about the tab UI handling.
- Scott K brings up the blog post from Mozilla asking if IE9 is a modern browser.
- The guys talk about IE9 supported features, general HTML5 support across browsers, etc.
- Kevin says that the biggest problem with IE is the slow ship cycle. Kevin and Scott K discuss the possibility of splitting out an enterprise browser.
- Kevin talks about the GPU acceleration in IE9 and how he thinks it’s overblown.
- Jon talks about the lack of XP support for IE9.
- The guys talk about how they wish there was an IE6 standalone.
Download / Listen:
Herding Code 107: Apple Subscription fees, Nokia, Reflector, Mono, Watson, CardSpace, and IE9 RC
This entry was posted
on Thursday, March 10th, 2011 at 1:20 amand is filed under podcast.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.