This week on Herding Code, James Avery and Rob Conery join the cast in a lively discussion about NoSQL, TekPub, the new DotNetKicks and the technical debate du jour, ASP.NET Web Forms vs ASP.NET MVC.
- Kevin asks Rob and James to share their views on NoSQL and the use of object and document databases. James challenges the idea that all data must reside in a relational databases. Are ORMs so last year? What’s going to be happening in 2020?
- Rob claims he wouldn’t accept a ride to the bar in an 18-wheeler. Whatever!
- Jon asks what we’re saving with object databases – don’t ORMs abstract the database away? So what’s the point?
- James pimps TekPub
- Rob talks it bit about domain-driven design and how we marry relational tables to object-oriented system. K Scott fails to see how the choice of a UI pattern is influenced by the type of database one is using. Rob explains.
- Jon asks about maintainability and supportability issues and what’s your boss going to think if you suggest moving away from your current relation database solution. James gives examples on why non-relational solutions are easy to maintain and support. Rob talks about quick ramp up time, scalability and performance like he’s given the speech 1000 times before.
- The guys pleasantly discuss MSDN.and VB.and ASP.NET Web Forms.
- K Scott shares his opinion on the future of MVC, Web Forms, Silverlight and Sharepoint as they will exist both inside and outside of the firewall. Scott K, James and Rob also offer their opinions (shocking) and Jon’s chance to interject is taken away when the luminous “Page Lifecycle” crashes down upon him.
- James and Rob dig a little deeper into object and document databases and normalized database nightmares are exchanged.
- Kevin asks how versioning works in an object database, the guys speak of Json and Bison, and serialization and deserialization. James speculates that object databases will ultimately be more popular than document databases.
- Rob addresses the idea that he’s condescending and rude. The group talks about opinions and share their views on recent technical debates – ASP.NET MVC vs Web Forms, VB vs C#, ORMs vs Stored Procedures, and Jets vs Sharks. Can’t we all just get along?
- Rob and James pimps TekPub again.
- K Scott kicks off a flash lightning round – one question about VB6.
- Rob answers Twitter question from @elijahmanor about TekPub’s technology stack and elaborates about video options.
- James pimps DotNetKicks.
Download / Listen:
Herding Code 71: James Avery and Rob Conery on NoSQL and a bunch of other stuff
Show notes compiled by Ben Griswold. Thanks!
This entry was posted
on Monday, February 1st, 2010 at 12:30 amand is filed under discussion, interview, podcast.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.