K Scott leads us in a discussion of LINQ, including:
- What is it
- How introducing LINQ to .NET changed the framework
- LINQ Providers
- LINQ to XML
- LINQ to SQL – how it’s different from EF, tips and tricks, when to use it
Also, Scott Koon was gone this week. We did our best to make sure you wouldn’t notice.
Download / Listen
Herding Code 10: LINQ
This week, we catch up with Rob Conery. Topics:
- SubSonic 2.1
- Where SubSonic fits in the Microsoft data access tools explosion
- Why LINQ to SubSonic is so durn tricky
- MVC Storefront – has it made Rob a TDD believer
- What else is Rob up to at Microsoft
Download / Listen:
Episode 9: Rob Conery on SubSonic, MVC Storefront, and the Silverlight Ninja Squad
This week, we discuss the use of virtual machines in software development. Topics:
- Industry trends
- VMware vs. Virtual PC (and other virtualization technologies)
- Should you develop in a VM?
- VM Tips and tricks
Download / Listen:
Herding Code 8: Virtual Machines
In this episode of Herding Code, we discuss the pro’s and con’s of building a startup on the Microsoft stack. We talk about a lot of issues:
- Licensing cost
- Availability and cost of developers
- Development environments and tools
- Relative costs of software vs. development time
- Thoughts on whether Microsoft should ship Visual Studio Express with Windows
- Those few companies who start on one stack and switch as they get larger
- How, in the end, it all comes down to execution
Along the way, K. Scott regales us with the tale of his run-in with the FBI, flees the podcast, and finds a way to sneak back on the call. Shenanigans!
Herding Code 7: Why don’t startups run on Microsoft? (Download)
This week we
argue discuss whether Silverlight is just another flavor of ActiveX, or if it’s here to stay.
Listen / Download
Herding Code 6: Silverlight – Fad Or Fab?