Guest Star Backstage Megapass Info
We record on Wednesday nights at 8:30 Pacific time. The recording usually takes 1 – 1.5 hours.
We do the calls via Skype. If possible, update to the latest version before the call, because the call quality is better. If you don’t have Skype installed, you can download it here: http://wwwskype.com/
You can connect to me on Skype (username jonrgalloway) before the call. I’ll set up a Skype chat around 8:15PM and will start the call when we’ve got everyone on the line.
- Prior to the call, shut down non-essential apps to get your CPU and network usage low; Skype requires a lot of CPU and network resources and will cause audio dropouts if it peaks.
- Don’t use a wireless internet connection if you can avoid it.
- If possible, use a USB headset. If not, use a headset or headphones to prevent echo.
- You can test your audio quality by making a call to the Skype call testing service. The contact name is echo123, or you can find it in the audio settings.
- Try to mute your microphone when you’re not talking. That eliminates breath noise, typing, coughs, etc. Many USB headsets have a mute button, but if you don’t have one you can use the mute toggle in the Skype application (you can assign it to a hotkey if you want to get fancy).
We use the Skype chat window for back-channel communications during the call – coordinating who will ask the next question, etc. Remember that listeners can’t see what you’re reading, so don’t respond to the goofy chatter in the Skype window. You can always call a timeout during the call and I’ll edit it out.
The shows are edited and generally posted within a week of recording. We edit out um’s and stutters, but generally don’t remove any real content if possible.
I collect links from the call for the show notes. If you’ve got any links you want to send in beforehand so we can study up, feel free. If not, send any links that come up after the show to make sure I get them.