While at NDC 2012 in Oslo, Jon and K. Scott talked to Jakob Bradford about how the event was organized.
Download / Listen:
Herding Code 147 – Jakob Bradford on Organizing NDC Oslo [audio://herdingcode.com/wp-content/uploads/HerdingCode-0147-Jakob-Bradford.mp3]
- Jon asks how NDC got started and how it’s grown.
- K. Scott says that other conferences feel like they’re organized to solve organizers’ problems, while NDC is organized around the attendee experience. Jakob says that’s very intentional.
- Jon asks how they balance a big conference feel (as NDC continues to grow) while maintaining a personal feel.
- K. Scott asks for an inside scoop – what were the biggest disasters, or almost disasters? Answer: volcanoes!
- Jon talks about how much he likes the Overflow (a.k.a. ADD room) and asks how that got started. Jakob said that’s how conferences are done in Norway.
- K. Scott asks about Aral’s keynote, which began with a musical number.
- Jon asks about how they select speakers and content.
- Jon asks about the pre-conference workshops (in the tallest building in Norway!)
- The entire conference is recorded, available on Vimeo. Jakob says that’s how they get most of their attendees – "Watch the videos a couple years… you will come!"
- Jakob Bradford @jakbradf
- NDC Oslo
- NDC Oslo sessions on Vimeo
- Photosynth showing the NDC Overflow Room
- K. Scott Allen’s NDC sessions
- Jon Galloway’s NDC sessions
The NDC Overflow room: