Show #5 – Topics
- Firefox 3… that’s it
Listen / Downlad
Herding Code 5: Firefox 3 Release
The Name, The Feed, etc.
This is our last podcast hosting the audio on SkyDrive, I promise. I’d planned to take care of it last weekend and a family emergency… um… emerged. You can help! Please take our super quick survey to vote on a name for our podcast.
I’d hoped we could use SkyDrive to host the audio and set up a nice podcast feed on top of it via FeedBurner, but it turns out that SkyDrive doesn’t send the media type with MP3 enclosures in a way Feedburner expects, so that’s out. I’m looking into other hosting options, please comment in our survey if you’ve got any recommendations. We’ve been wanting to keep our costs down so we have the option of continuing long term without requiring sponsorship, but we’ll get our site set up for you for next week’s podcast. Honest.
I think we finally nailed the audio this week. Thanks to Joe Pruitt and others for some great suggestions on how to set this up.
Show #4 – Topics
- iPhone v2 announcments from WWDC
- TechEd 2008 recap by our roving reporter, K. Scott Allen
Herding Code 4: iPhoneV2, K Scott recaps TechEd 2008
We’re closing in on a name (and thus a domain and a website and a real podcast feed, etc.). Here’s our current list, please give us your feedback or alternate suggestions.
- Four Horsemen On Software
- Four Horsemen Podcast
- Technology Roundtable Podcast
Audio quality’s a bit worse this week. We’re working on it – it’s harder than you’d think (you should have heard what the source audio files sounded like). Right now we use Skype for the call, but everyone records their own audio and I edit and clean it up. We use Call Graph as a backup in case someone’s audio recording doesn’t work. UPDATE: Fixed a problem with K Scott’s audio. Much better now.
So far we’ve been hosting the audio on SkyDrive. We’ve been planning to host it ourselves, but I’m wondering if SkyDrive’s hosting would be sufficient provided that we had a solid podcast RSS feed. This should only be a problem if you can’t access the files for some reason – it’s requiring a login, or blocked by your corporate network or something. Please let me know if you have problems with this episode so we can make an informed decision. Other alternatives we’ve considered are the Site5 Uberplan and Amazon S3. Got any input there?
Show #3 – Topics
- Should developers learn C?
- TechEd 2008 Keynote Announcements
- Microsoft “Velocity” distributed caching solution
Herding Code 3: Should Developers Learn C? + TechEd 2008 Keynote
Thanks for your patience (and great feedback) as we get our act together here. We’ve decided to make the content the top priority, and get the non-content details (feed, website, branding, etc.) next. Any suggestions for website address, podcast name, or any other ways we can improve?
Last week I posted the first in a new podcast series with K. Scott Allen (a.k.a. OdeToCode), Scott Koon (a.k.a. LazyCoder), and Kevin Dente. We got some great feedback, but we decided to ignore it and continue the podcast. So here’s another one!
But seriously, this one’s a lot shorter (too short?) and you’ll hopefully find the sound quality’s improved. We’ve also heard from several people that, while it’s easy for a group of geeks to criticize anything and everything, that doesn’t necessarily transfer into useful information.
Show #2 – Topics
- Google’s announcement that they’ll host several popular AJAX libraries
- ASP.NET AJAX
- AJAX Control Toolkit
Download / Listen
Herding Code 2: AJAX Frameworks
We’re starting up a technology round table podcast. By we, I mean:
Our goal here is to provide you with some interesting discussions loosely centered around the world of development on the Microsoft platform. We’ve just finished our first show, and – while we’re aware that it’s not ready for prime-time, we’re looking for some alpha testers to give it a listen and give us some feedback.
Let’s start with our four known issues:
- It’s way too long – I edited this down to one hour, but our goal is to keep these in the 1/2 hour range.
- Audio levels – My voice is quieter than everyone else’s. Maybe that’s a good thing.
- We’re just getting used to the format – None of us has done a podcast before. I’ve edited out several awkward pauses and the like, but it’s not at all polished just yet.
- No branding – We’ll probably come up with some kind of catchy name, set up a website, and maybe include a 2 second musical bumper at the beginning. And maybe get a blimp and a mascot. But that’s all later.
So, you’re warned. Want to alpha test it and give us some feedback?
Show #1 – Topics
- .NET 3.5 SP1 Beta 1
- Entity Framework and OR/M’s in general
- Twitter-bashing (easy, but fun!)
- Ninject dependency injection framework
Download / Listen
Herding Code 1: .NET 3.5 SP1, Twitter, ORM\’s, Ninject