On this episode, the guys talk to Anthony van der Hoorn and Nik Molnar about Glimpse, which allows you to debug your web site or web service right in the browser.
- Jon asks why Glimpse was created.
- Anthony gives a high-level explanation of what Glimpse does.
- Glimpse is for your server what Firebug is for your browser.
- Glimpse exposes a plugin architecture that allows it to be extended as necessary.
- Kevin asks if Glimpse can be leveraged from application code. Nik explains it is possible, but 99% of the functionality you need will not require any extra code in your application.
- You can point your logging framework to Glimpse and then you can see log entries relevant to the request.
- The guys talk about how Glimpse fits in with NLog, ELMAH, mvc-mini-profiler, etc.
- Nik says Firebug + Fiddler + Glimpse is the trifecta of development tools.
- Jon asks how Glimpse can be used to help a user experiencing trouble with a production site.
- Jon asks about running Glimpse in production.
- Twitter question from @danielauger: “What was the most difficult metric to tap into?”
- Anthony and Nik explain all the detail that is tracked in the Execution tab of Glimpse.
- Anthony talks about how they decided to display all the data that Glimpse has.
- Jon and Anthony talk about how Glimpse could be used to improve page response times.
- Kevin asks about the performance overhead of using Glimpse and using it in production.
- Nik explains how Glimpse plugins are enabled/disabled.
- Jon asks about seeing the validation rules for a particular request.
- Anthony talks about what is added in to core Glimpse versus what goes in to Glimpse plugins.
- Jon asks about how Glimpse handles Ajax.
- Kevin asks about record-and-replay functionality in Glimpse.
- Jon asks about the implementation of the client side display of Glimpse data.
- Nik explains how to configure Glimpse to easily compare differences between test, staging and production environments.
- Jon asks about the future of Glimpse.
- Glimpse: git repo, Glimpse for ASP.NET NuGet package, Glimpse for ASP.NET MVC NuGet package
- Anthony van der Hoorn (@anthony_vdh)
- Nik Molnar (@nikmd23)
- CodePlex documentation for adding Glimpse manually
- C4MVC talk on Glimpse
- Fluent Security
Download / Listen:
Note: Thanks to @rossfuhrman for typing our show notes this week!